Hurriyat Chairman placed under house arrest
Geelani was placed under house arrest after apprehensions that he might lead protests after Friday prayers.
Srinagar: Authorities in Srinagar have put hard line Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest as a preventive measure, officials said on Friday.
Geelani was placed under house arrest since Thursday evening as there were apprehensions that he might lead protests after Friday prayers, the officials said. Some people had indulged in stone-pelting after Geelani's address to the gatherings on May 6 at Batamaloo in the city.
Meanwhile, a Hurriyat spokesman condemned the restrictions on the movement of Geelani saying he has not been allowed even to offer prayers.
"Earlier, we had called for rallies to press for release of political prisoners and we thought the house arrest was to foil those rallies. However, Geelani is not even allowed to offer prayers," the spokesman said.
Recommended For You
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Powers Manchester United to League Cup Glory
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- Lionel Messi on Target as Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid
- Malayalam Actor Prithiviraj Writes Powerful Post Apologising for Misogyny in Films