DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Hurriyat Chairman placed under house arrest
Geelani was placed under house arrest after apprehensions that he might lead protests after Friday prayers.
Srinagar: Authorities in Srinagar have put hard line Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest as a preventive measure, officials said on Friday.
Geelani was placed under house arrest since Thursday evening as there were apprehensions that he might lead protests after Friday prayers, the officials said. Some people had indulged in stone-pelting after Geelani's address to the gatherings on May 6 at Batamaloo in the city.
Meanwhile, a Hurriyat spokesman condemned the restrictions on the movement of Geelani saying he has not been allowed even to offer prayers.
"Earlier, we had called for rallies to press for release of political prisoners and we thought the house arrest was to foil those rallies. However, Geelani is not even allowed to offer prayers," the spokesman said.
Recommended For You
- BCCI Unhappy With Anil Kumble? India Looks For New Coach
- On Kumble, Kohli Says BCCI Following Due Process By Inviting Fresh Applications
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- It's Official: OnePlus 5 to Be India's First Phone With Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- Bollywood Stars Join Sachin Tendulkar For A Billion Dreams Premiere