DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Hurriyat's Farooq, Geelani under house arrest
The moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference led by Farooq announced four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru.
New Delhi: Hurriyat Conference leaders Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who are in Delhi, were placed under house arrest soon after Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru was hanged in Delhi's Tihar Jail at 8 am on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference led by Farooq announced four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru. "We call on people to observe four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru. A complete shutdown will be observed over the mourning period," Shahidul Islam, spokesman of the amalgam, told PTI.
Hurriyat also demands immediate return of the mortal remains of Guru so that he can be given a burial according to his family's wishes and as per Islamic rituals, the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, the spokesman of the Syed Ali Shah Geelani-led hardline Hurriyat Conference Ayaz Akbad was taken into preventive custody by police early on Saturday morning. "Akbar was arrested by police at 5.00 am and taken to an unknown location," his son said.
(With additional inputs from PTI)
Recommended For You
- Would Have Approached the 2003 World Cup Differently if T20s Existed Then: Tendulkar
- Saif Ali Khan Opens Up About Ex-wife Amrita Singh In This Old Interview
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande
- Ford Names James Hackett As New CEO