Hurriyat's Farooq, Geelani under house arrest
The moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference led by Farooq announced four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru.
New Delhi: Hurriyat Conference leaders Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who are in Delhi, were placed under house arrest soon after Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru was hanged in Delhi's Tihar Jail at 8 am on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference led by Farooq announced four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru. "We call on people to observe four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru. A complete shutdown will be observed over the mourning period," Shahidul Islam, spokesman of the amalgam, told PTI.
Hurriyat also demands immediate return of the mortal remains of Guru so that he can be given a burial according to his family's wishes and as per Islamic rituals, the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, the spokesman of the Syed Ali Shah Geelani-led hardline Hurriyat Conference Ayaz Akbad was taken into preventive custody by police early on Saturday morning. "Akbar was arrested by police at 5.00 am and taken to an unknown location," his son said.
(With additional inputs from PTI)
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Powers Manchester United to League Cup Glory
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Lion Actor Sunny Pawar Makes His Big Academy Debut