I am happy that Priyanka is doing my role: Mary Kom
The boxer added that she would love to show the film's cast and crew on how they lead their lives in Manipur.
Mumbai: Olympic bronze medallist Mary Kom is happy that Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra is going to essay her life and times in a biopic. "Any actress is good enough to play my role. They are all talented. I am happy that Priyanka is doing my role," Mary said at an event here.
Asked if she would make her silver screen debut with the movie, directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, she said, "It is hard for me. I am not good at acting. I get nervous while facing the camera."
Earlier, Priyanka had expressed her happiness on her role. She had tweeted, "Now off to my first meeting with the one and only Mary Kom! Dhan tana... Will make her teach me how to wear my boxing gloves."
The petite boxer added that she would love to show the film's cast and crew on how they lead their lives in Manipur. Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom, the ace boxer who is lauded as a national hero after winning the London Olympic bronze, has become a source of inspiration for Bhansali to make a movie based on her.
Belonging to Kom tribal community of north eastern state Manipur, Mary initially tried to hide her interest in boxing from her family, since it was not considered a suitable sport for a woman.
After her victory in the Manipur state women's boxing championship in 2000, her career became public and she started competing at international level at the age of 18.
The 29-year-old is the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the six world championships.
- UP Polls: Akhilesh Yadav's 'Vikas Rath Yatra' to Begin from November 3
- Shivpal Invites Nitish Kumar, Sharad Yadav to SP's 25th Anniversary Celebrations, Hints Alliance
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Shivpal Yadav Vacates Official Residence
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Windfall for Ace Lawyers As Tata-Mistry Courtroom Battle Set to Prolong
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund