DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
I am not a tax evader, says Kapil Sharma
Kapil Sharma, who was recently questioned by the Service Tax department for alleged non-payment of tax, said that he is not "a tax evader".
Mumbai: Comedian Kapil Sharma, who was recently questioned by the Service Tax department for alleged non-payment of tax amounting to nearly Rs 60 lakh, today said that he is not "a tax evader".
"I am very upset with reports saying that I am a tax evader. Service Tax department imposed tax on the artistes in July last year, and I have already paid Rs 35 lakh towards the tax. I have to pay the remaining Rs 30 lakh which is due in October," Kapil said.
He said that he was surprised why such a hue and cry was made over this non-payment, as it pertained only to the Service Tax and not the Income Tax.
"I will pay the remaining amount," he added.
Last week, the Service Tax Department authorities said that he had not remitted the tax amounts that he collected from the organisers of his programs.
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams: It Coasts Along on the Strength of Nostalgia
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Take a Journey Through the Lives of Famous Sportsmen With These Films
- AB De Villiers Angry at 'Ball-Tampering' Inference
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi