I will miss Justice Verma's advice, guidance, says PM
Singh recalled that Justice Verma had always been generous to him with his advice and guidance, which he will miss very much.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday night described former Chief Justice of India JS Verma, who died here, as a "man of vast understanding" whose "generous advice and guidance" he will miss very much. Singh said Justice Verma was "held in great respect as a public figure not only for his vast understanding and knowledge of law and the many path-breaking judgements he delivered as a judge but also for his deep sensitivity to the concerns of the common man and his fierce commitment to the public good".
"His service to the country continued even after his retirement as Chief Justice of India and the positions he held included Chairman, National Human Rights Commission and Chairman News Broadcasters Standards Authority", the Prime Minister said. Singh recalled that Justice Verma "had always been generous to him with his advice and guidance", which he will "miss very much".
He especially remembered the "extraordinary leadership" of Justice Verma as Chairman of the committee that was set up to suggest changes in law for dealing more effectively with offences against women. The Prime Minister extended his deepest condolences to the bereaved family.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Wayne Rooney Ends China Rumours, to Stay at Manchester United
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology