IAF to deploy helicopter squadron near Indo-Pak border
The helicopters can undertake all weather, day and night operations in any kind of terrain.
Jodhpur: IAF Chief Air Marshal NAK Browne will inaugurate the medium-lift helicopter complex for the new squadron of its latest Mi-17 V5 helicopters at Phalodi airbase near the Indo-Pak border here on January 7. This may be seen as Indian Air Force strengthening its presence along the Pakistan border by deploying the squadron, comprising about 15 aircraft.
The helicopters can undertake all weather, day and night operations in any kind of terrain, defence spokesperson Col SD Goswami said. "Mi-17 V5 falls under the armed helicopter category, with substantial and effective firepower with the latest and more powerful engines that will greatly enhance its payload carriage capability at higher altitudes," he said.
The helicopter is an upgrade of Mi-17 in the medium-lift category and is equipped with sophisticated avionics and on-board navigation systems. "It has on-board weather radar, state-of-the art autopilot and is equipped with the latest generation night vision devices. With these, the helicopter can undertake all- weather, day-night operations in any kind of terrain," he said.
Phalodi airbase, located between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer, was inaugurated in 2010 to undertake all types of air defence operations in the western sector.
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18