Iglesias gets gold for Cuba in light welterweight
Iglesias outboxed tough Ukrainian challenger Denys Berinchyk for a 22-15 victory.
London: Light welterweight Roniel Iglesias of Cuba won the gold medal in the Olympic boxing tournament Saturday night, outboxing tough Ukrainian challenger Denys Berinchyk for a 22-15 victory.
Iglesias is Cuba's first boxing gold medalist in London after the traditional amateur power failed to win a gold in Beijing. Iglesias was a silver medalist in 2008, but returned with a stellar run through the 2012 tournament.
Cuba's 33 boxing gold medals are second in Olympic history to the USA team's 48. Berinchyk fell just short of winning the third boxing gold medal in Ukraine's Olympic history, although his team will lead the London Olympics with five medals.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- CBFC Refuses to Pass Lipstick Under My Burkha for Being 'Lady Oriented'
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1