Sibal to meet IIT faculty to end stand-off over pay hike
Faculty was on fast on September 24 to oppose a HRD Ministry directive.
New Delhi: In a bid to end the stand-off between the Union Government and agitating Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) faculty protesting anomalies in pay structure, Union Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal has agreed to meet the teachers on Thursday.
The proposed meeting comes against the backdrop of an ultimatum given by the IIT faculty to the HRD Ministry for holding a joint meeting of ministry representatives and teachers before October 1 to resolve the issue.
The IIT faculty had gone on fast on September 24 to oppose certain provisions in the pay structure like 40 per cent cap on promotion of professors to senior grade and contractual appointment of Ph D holders at the entry level.
Sibal had disapproved the agitation by the teachers and said the ministry should not be given ultimatum for talks. He had justified the contentious provisions saying such conditions were aimed at promoting excellence.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- MS Dhoni Travels By Train After 13 Years
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology