Illicit outflow of money from India pegged at $ 104 bn
This has been disclosed by the White Paper on black money tabled in Parliament on Monday.
New Delhi: The illicit outflow of money from India has been estimated at $104 billion as of December last year, according to a report of the Global Financial Integrity (GFI).
This has been disclosed by the white paper on black money tabled in Parliament on Monday. But the report does not give any estimate of the government about either black money in India or the amount stashed away in banks abroad.
GFI is an international agency that promotes national and multi-lateral policies, safeguards and agreements aimed at curtailing the cross-border flow of illegal money.
During the same period, the illicit outflow from China has been estimated by the GFI at $2,467 billion. The report quoted a 1984 estimate to Rs 37 crore in black money in India as assessed by the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
The White Paper said that one estimate made by Swiss national banks put the amount of Indian deposits in Swiss banks at about Rs 9,295 crore by the end of 2010.
The Swiss Ministry of External Affairs confirmed these figures when a reference was made by the Indian Ministry of External Affairs to them.
The paper said that from the table available on the website of Swiss national banks, it can be seen that the deposits of Indians in Swiss banks have decreased from Rs 23,373 crore in 2006 to Rs 9,295 crore in 2010.
- Gautam Gambhir Returns to Test Squad After Two Years
- Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh Clear Fitness Test in NCA
- Nothing Confirmed Yet: Varun Dhawan on Working with Big B
- Xiaomi Mi5s, Mi 5s Plus Smartphones Powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 SoCs Launched in China
- Watch: Exclusive Interview With Former Pakistan Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani
- Pakistan Approaches International Court of Justice Over Indus Waters Treaty
- Will Pakistan Ever Accept Any Evidence Provided By India on Terror Propagated From Pak Soil?
- India Pulls Out of Saarc Meet, is Pakistan's Isolation Complete?