Income Tax Official Arrested by CBI For Accepting Bribe
CBI has arrested an Income Tax official for allegedly taking Rs five lakh bribe from a doctor.
Representative photo (Reuters)
Kochi: CBI has arrested an Income Tax official for allegedly taking Rs five lakh bribe from a doctor.
Dinesh, Inspector (Investigation), Income Tax Department, Ernakulam, was caught red handed on Friday while demanding and accepting Rs five lakh from Dr Sabine S, consultant in Infertility and Laproscopic clinic, the agency said on Saturday.
Sabine had preferred a complaint to the CBI, since he was not willing to pay the bribe amount.
"The bribe amount was recovered in the presence of witnesses. Subsequently the accused was then arrested and is being produced before the Court. Search was conducted at the residential premises of the accused," said Shiyas A, Superintendent of Police, CBI Anti Corruption Branch, in a release.
CBI said Dinesh has been charged under Section 7 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The FIR in the case was filed before the Court of Special Judge-III, CBI, Ernakulam.
According to the agency, Dinesh visited the hospital of Sabine and scrutinised documents relating to Income Tax.
He allegedly demanded Rs 10 lakh from the doctor, saying that he had done some "favours" to him.
Since the complainant was not ready to pay this bribe amount, Dinesh reduced the demand to Rs five lakh.
Recommended For You
- Did Rahul & Dhawan Plan Day Four Onslaught at Dinner Table With Kohli
- India vs Sri Lanka: Shikhar Dhawan Falls Prey to Nervous 90s Again
- Taapsee Pannu Gives It Back To Trolls Who Mocked Her For Wearing Short Dress
- Chef Kunal Kapur Explores India Through Thalis in Latest Food Show
- OnePlus 5T Launch Set For Tonight: Here's What The Bezel-Less Smartphone Will Offer