India bags eight gold medals at Lusofonia Games
India on Thursday claimed a rich-haul of eight gold medals, including five in the track and field events, at the ongoing 3rd Lusofonia Games.
Panaji: India on Thursday claimed a rich-haul of eight gold medals, including five in the track and field events, at the ongoing 3rd Lusofonia Games.
With this Goa has taken its overall medal tally to 13 gold, five silver and five bronze, a massive improvement from the single gold it won in 2009 through P Anand in taekwondo.
Goa's athletics gold medals came via Archana Susentran (women's 100 m), Hubert D'Costa (men's shot put), Tintu N D (women's high jump), Shankar Dhamdhay (men's long jump) and Chitra PU (women's 1500 m).
The 100m final, won by Angolan Osvaldo Morais in 10.67 secs, proved disappointing for the home fans as one of its athletes, Husandeep Surinder Singh, was disqualified for false start.
The other Indian challenger, Ifran Shaikh, finished fifth in 11.07 seconds, well below his personal best of 10.94 seconds.
The silver was claimed by Cape Verde's Danielsan Martins (10.75 secs). The bronze medal also went to Angola, whose sprinter Mauro de Sousa completed the race in 10.91 seconds.
Recommended For You
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Female)
- Jaguar XE, XF and F-Pace Owners Can Soon Pay for Fuel Through Their Infotainment System
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- India A vs Australia: Shreyas Iyer Slams 202* As Match Ends in Draw