DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
India blank Russia 10-1, qualify for quarter-finals
Australia held NZ to a 3-3 draw, which enabled India finish second in Pool C - behind leaders Australia.
New Delhi: India pummeled Russia 10-1 in their last pool match on Tuesday and saw Australia play out a 3-3 draw with New Zealand that helped India move into the quarter-finals of the junior women's hockey world cup in Monchengladbach, Germany.
India, who led 5-0 until half-time, pumped in five more in the last 35 minutes to sent Russia packing. It will be India's first appearance in last-eight stage of the junior women's world cup.
The Indian girls scored five goals in each half through a hat-trick by Vandana Kataria (7th minute, 15th, 31st), two goals each from Poonam Rani (22nd, 27th) and Rani (39th, 49th), and a goal apiece from Ritusha Kumani Arya (44th) and Manjit Kaur (69th). The ninth Indian goal came via an own goal in the 66th minute.
Anastasia Miroshikova scored the lone goal for Russia in the 36th minute.
India started their campaign with a heavy 1-6 defeat against Australia before coming back with a 2-0 win over New Zealand in the second game. The win over Russia helped India finish the league stage placed second in Pool C with six points, behind Australia who topped with seven.
India will now face Pool D champions in the quarterfinals on Thursday.
With PTI inputs
Recommended For You
- New 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire First Drive Review: Does it Aspire to Amaze You?
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- On Kumble, Kohli Says BCCI Following Due Process By Inviting Fresh Applications
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- It's Official: OnePlus 5 to Be India's First Phone With Qualcomm Snapdragon 835