India GP: Ferrari to race with Italian navy flag
It's Ferrari's gesture of support for two Italian sailors charged with killing Indian fishermen.
New Delhi: Ferrari will race with the flag of the Italian navy on their cars at this weekend's Indian Formula One Grand Prix in a gesture of support for two Italian sailors charged with killing Indian fishermen. The Italian team said on their website on Wednesday they would be paying tribute to the navy as "one of the outstanding entities of our country".
The statement added the gesture was "also in the hope the Indian and Italian authorities will soon find a solution to the situation currently involving two sailors from the Italian navy". The sailors were part of a military security team protecting a cargo ship from pirate attacks when they fired on the boat of the two fishermen off the Indian coast in February.
Italian officials say the sailors, who were released on bail in June in Kerala to await trial, mistook the fishermen for pirates. The case has caused outrage in India and soured relations with Italy, which says the detained sailors are military personnel who should be tried at home.
Italy recalled its envoy from New Delhi in May to signal the country's "strong displeasure" with the Indian government's handling of the incident.
Ferrari's Spanish driver Fernando Alonso is fighting for the Formula One championship with Red Bull's German Sebastian Vettel who has a six-point lead with four races to go.
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18