India has plans to produce 20,000 MW of N-power: Kalam
Kalam said nuclear power is important as thermal power generation required thousands of tonnes of coal causing environment damage.
Beijing: India plans to produce about 20,000 mega watt of nuclear power keeping safety features in mind, former President APJ Abdul Kalam on Friday said as he certified the Kudankulam atomic plant as safe. "India has plan to produce 20,000 mega watt of nuclear power. It is important because it is clean energy. We have lot of thorium reserves. Of course we are now using uranium based nuclear reactors. Another decades time we will be thorium based.
We will be comfortable," Kalam said when asked to comment on China's move to lift the temporary ban on construction of a host of new nuclear power plants. Asked about China's recent move permitting a "very small number" of its 40 new nuclear plants whose construction was stopped after the 2011 Fukushima disaster in Japan, Kalam said: "India is anyway going ahead with its plans keeping safety features in mind."
According to reports, about 40 new plants were under construction in addition to 13 functioning plants in China. Asked about continued protests against Kudankulam plant which he earlier visited and certified it as safe, Kalam said, "it is a democratic nation. We can't say people cannot debate and discuss... I visited the plant. It has four safety locks. I have compared it with the features of Fukushima and what we are going to have at Kudamkulam. So I have analysed and given (opinion) on what the safety inter lock system" is.
Kalam said nuclear power is important as thermal power generation required thousands of tonnes of coal causing environment damage, while nuclear power need tonnes of uranium to run nuclear plant.
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake