DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
India puts on hold Rs 250 cr loan to Maldives: sources
The Maldives government is set to take over the Male airport at midnight on Friday.
New Delhi: India has put on hold a Rs 250 crore loan to Maldives, according to sources say. Sources say the loan for bilateral aid has been put on hold due to GMR's eviction. The Maldives government is set to take over the Male airport at midnight on Friday.
This comes after the Singapore Court of Appeal ruled that the Maldives government had the authority to take back Male airport from the company. Maldives President Mohammed Waheed Hassan's Press Secretary Masood Imad said that the government would go ahead with the transfer as scheduled.
The Maldives government had cancelled GMR's $ 500 million airport project, claiming that the project was financially unviable. The termination of the $500 million GMR airport project is seen as a major setback in the bilateral relations of India and Maldives.
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams: It Coasts Along on the Strength of Nostalgia
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Virender Sehwag Asked to Apply for the Post of India Coach
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi