'India poised for better role in Afghanistan'
India is poised to play a very important role as international troops prepare to leave Afghanistan, said General John Allen.
Washington: India, which is one of the top donors for Afghanistan post 9/11, is poised to play a very important role as the international community prepares to withdraw troops from this war-torn country, a top American commander has told lawmakers.
Testifying before a Congressional Committee, General John Allen, Commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan told lawmakers on Tuesday that India is not only a major economic donor but also has offered to support the development of the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).
"The Indian government, ... with whom we have very strong relations, appears to be poised ultimately not just to have a substantial economic interest, perhaps even eclipsing the Chinese interest... but also has long-term ties, very healthy and friendly ties with Afghanistan and, in fact, is offering to support the development of the Afghan National Security Forces," Allen said in response to a question.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Powers Manchester United to League Cup Glory
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Lionel Messi on Target as Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid
- Oscars 2017: Why Dev Patel Deserves to Win for Lion