India rules out early visit to Pak by PM
Government sources said that the visit would come only after Pakistan addresses issues concerning India.
New Delhi: An early visit by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Pakistan is ruled out as it can happen only when there is "specific delivery" from Islamabad on issues concerning India, highly-placed sources in government said on Wednesday.
Pakistan needs to deliver on a "wish list" that India has given during the visit of the then Home Minister P Chidambaram to that country in 2010, the sources said. They said Pakistan was very keen on such a visit by Singh but it cannot happen on a unilateral basis.
"Pakistan knows what we want. Home Minister Chidambaram when he went there gave a wish list. Our present understanding and assessment is we have not reached a level that there has been adequate delivery and we can go on. We sincerely hope that there will be a specific delivery. We hope that it will happen in the future and then we can think of it (visit by the PM)," the sources said.
They said India does not consider the hanging of Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman in the 26/11 attack, as a closure to the terror attack. India is keen that the perpetrators of the 26/11 attack on trial in Pakistan are brought to justice. "We owe it our people who have suffered that this is done," they said.
The sources said that a visit by Prime Minister is not a matter of sheer courtesy and cannot be done in haste. For relations to become normal, there are some steps needed to be taken on both sides and it was important that Pakistan should take the steps.
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- IMPPA Passes Resolution Temporarily Banning Pakistani Artistes In India
- Replace Mahira, Fawad In Raees and Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, Demands MNS
- Time to Stop All India-Pak Relations, Business, Sports, Cinema?