India strengthening capability on China border
Antony said until the confusion is cleared, there was a possibility of troops from both sides venturing into each other's territory perceiving it to be theirs.
Hindon: India is trying to have "more understanding" with China, while at the same time strengthening its capabilities along the disputed border with its neighbour, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Monday.
"India and China have an unsettled border. Talks are going on to find an amicable solution to the long pending dispute," Antony said here at the formal induction ceremony of the Boeing C-17 Globemaster III heavy-lift transport aircraft into the Indian Air Force. The squadron will be based at the Hindon air force station near Delhi.
"We are trying to have more understanding with them. Confidence building measures are being undertaken."
The minister said that until the confusion is cleared, there was a possibility of troops from both sides venturing into each other's territory perceiving it to be theirs.
However, Antony said that like China, India too was "strengthening its capabilities on the border".
"The other side (China) has already done this and we are continuously strengthening our capabilities in the border areas," he said.
"We are taking these two steps together of strengthening capabilities and dialogue," he added.
The minister further said the Indian army and security forces are handling the situation effectively and that a joint military exercise between India and China would take place soon.
There have been a spate of Chinese intrusions in the past few months. Chinese troops had pitched tents in Ladakh sector of Jammu and Kashmir in April and pulled back after 21 days following flag meetings and talks at official levels.
Indian and Chinese forces were "face-to-face" in Chumar sector of Ladakh after Chinese troops transgressed into the Indian side June 17 and took away a surveillance camera, which they later returned.
India and China share a border of length around 3,500 km.
- Shivaay Review: Ajay Devgn-starrer Is Seldom Compelling
- Dhanteras Buying Fails to Lift Gold; Falls Rs 110
- Dhanteras: Festival of Wealth
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review: Genuinely Moving Drama With Terrific Performances by its Leads
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- Missing Home This Diwali? 7 Movies to Make You Feel Closer to Your Loved Ones
- Twitter to Launch Diwali Emoji, Will Be Available Starting 28 Oct