India takes up SRK detention issue with US
The Indian embassy in US has sought intervention by the US to put in place measures so that such incidents aren't repeated in future.
New York: India has taken up with the US the issue of Shah Rukh Khan's detention at a New York airport, conveying its "deep concern" over the incident that "need not have happened".
"We have taken it up with the State Department," Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao told reporters.
Rao, who was in the city for a Columbia University conference on India, said the detention of the Indian superstar is an "incident that need not have happened."
The Indian embassy in Washington has issued a press note on the incident and "we would like to leave it that."
She added that even Khan is no longer in the US and had left for India.
The Indian envoy said there was concern across India over the incident since Khan is an internationally renowned personality.
"It is not merely our concern but the concern of the whole nation which we sought to convey to the State Department and the US authorities so that they understand the depth of the concern that was expressed by us," Rao said.
A press note issued by the Indian embassy in Washington said it has sought the State Department's intervention to put in place measures so that such incidents are not repeated in future.
"In order to convey the deep concern that has been expressed nationwide in India over this incident, the embassy of India has taken up the matter with the US Department of State and sought the State Department's intervention to institute appropriate measures to avoid recurrence of such an incident in the future," the embassy statement said.
- Pakistan Summons Indian Envoy, Lodges Strong Protest Over 'Unprovoked Firing'
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Wants US Troops Out in Two Years, Willing to Scrap Defence Pacts
- Pakistan Cricket Board Bars Push-Ups on Field After Match Wins
- Team India, Ravichandran Ashwin Head Latest ICC Test Rankings
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 9: Luxury Budget Task BB Laundry Creates Havoc In The House
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
From Our Network
- Punjab polls: As Arvind Kejriwal loses the plot, Congress might just break its losing streak- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18