India thrash SL 11-0 in Junior Asia Cup hockey
The two-time junior Asian champions played free-flowing hockey, with Malak Singh scoring a hat-trick.
Malacca, Malaysia: India thrashed Sri Lanka 11-0 in their opening match of the 7th Junior Men's Asia Cup Hockey Tournament here on Friday. India, two-time champions, scored through skipper Akashdeep Singh (3rd, 62nd), Amit Rohidas (6th), Satbir Singh (21st, 29th), Malak Singh (27th, 39th, 44th), PL Thimmanna (34th, 41st) and Prabhdeep Singh (67th).
India took only three minutes to open scoring through skipper Akashdeep, who deflected in a cross from the right. And three minutes later, it was 2-0 for India as Amit Rohidas sent in a powerful flick into the roof of the net from a penalty corner, giving the Sri Lankan goalkeeper Nuwan Premathilaka no chance at all.
With two goals in the bag, India started playing free-flowing hockey. The third goal by India was scored by Satbir Singh in the 21st minute, a gap of 15 minutes from their second goal, not reflective of their total domination of the match.
India then scored at regular intervals through Malak Singh (27th minute), Satbir (29th minute) and Pulyanda Lokesh Thimmana (34th minute) for a 6-0 lead at half-time. Malak Singh completed his hat-trick by scoring India's seventh and eight goals in the 39th and 44th minutes, respectively.
Thimmanna then scored his second and India's ninth in the 51st minute. India hit double figures as skipper Akashdeep scored his second in the 62nd minute with Prabhdeep Singh making it 11-0 in the 67th minute.
India next face archrivals Pakistan on Sunday.
- US Asks Pakistan to Take Action Against UN-Designated Terrorist Outfits
- India vs New Zealand Live: Virat Kohli's India look to Wrap Series, Regain No.1 Spot
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
- Rock On 2 Trailer: Farhan, Shraddha, Arjun All Set to Bring Back Magik
- Rock On 2: Meet The Band Members of The Magik
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18