India welcomes US sanctions on 8 LeT leaders
The US on Thursday slapped sanctions on top Lashkar-e-Toiba commanders, including 26/11 mastermind Sajid Mir.
Tehran: India on Thursday welcomed the US action slapping sanctions on Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba's (LeT) top eight commanders, including Mumbai terror attack mastermind Sajid Mir and its founder Hafiz Saeed's son.
"We obviously welcome the steps taken to improve international cooperation in the fight against terrorism and the steps taken by the US has certainly been in that direction," Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai told reporters.
Mathai made the remarks when asked by newsmen to comment on the decision of the Obama Administration.
Announcing the sanctions, the US said LeT, despite being designated as a foreign terrorist organisation in January 2002, continues to "operate in Pakistan" and throughout the region and engage in terrorist activities worldwide.
"LeT has conducted numerous terrorist acts against Pakistani, Indian, Afghan and US interests and is responsible for the November 2008 Mumbai attacks that killed more than 160 people, including six Americans, and the July 2006 Mumbai train bombings that killed more than 180 people," the Department of Treasury said.
Besides Mir, other LeT leaders slapped with sanctions are Abdullah Mujahid, Ahmed Yaqub, Hafiz Khalid Walid, Qari Muhammad Yaqoob Sheikh, Amir Hamza, Abdullah Muntazir, and Talha Saeed, the son of the LeT leader Saeed.
The sanctions forbid US individuals and companies from undertaking any transactions with the eight and freezes any assets they may have in the US.
Individuals targeted today are based in Pakistan and involved in LeT's propaganda campaigns, financial networks, and logistic support networks.
- Surgical Strike: Strong Message Sent to Pakistan on Terror, Says Sonia Gandhi
- Surgical Strikes Across LoC an Operational Necessity: Defence Experts
- We Are Ready For Any Counter-Attack By Pakistan: Prakash Javadekar
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- Bollywood Friday: Will Sushant Singh Rajput's MS Dhoni Live Up To The Expectations?
- MS Dhoni Biopic May be the Biggest Risk of Sushant Singh Rajput's Career
- Everybody Deserves to Know Dhoni's Inspiring Story: Bhumika Chawla
- Sushant Singh Rajput Talks about Dhoni, Bollywood In His First Selfie Interview