Indian Badminton League to be launched on Nov 10
The League, that is to involve city-based franchise teams, vouches a total of USD 1 million as prize money on offer
Mumbai: The much-talked about Indian Badminton League (IBL), that is being promised as the vehicle to bring in big money to the nation's shuttlers will be launched here on November 10 in presence of London Olympics bronze medallist Saina Nehwal.
The launch would be done at a Bandra hotel in the presence of Saina, national coach P Gopichand, other Indian badminton team members and Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Dr Akhilesh Das Gupta, it was learnt.
The League, that is to involve city-based franchise teams similar to cricket's cash-rich Indian Premier League, vouches a total of USD 1 million as the prize money on offer, the "highest prize money in badminton anywhere in the world," according to information put up on Sporty Solutionz Pvt Ltd's website -- the commercial partner of the BAI.
A quarter-finalist in the event, featuring both Indian and foreign players, would be richer by anywhere between Rs 2.5 to 3 lakh, as per the website.
The IBL's governing council, chaired by Dr Gupta, also includes Gopi and former internationals Pradeep Gandhe and Vimal Kumar as its members.
- Salahuddin Seeks Help From Pak Military Pak Over Kashmir
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: Sreejesh Simmers Down Before Indo-Pak Clash
- For Dialogue, Pakistan Must Stop Infiltration on Border: Mehbooba Mufti
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP