Indian boxer Sangwan loses a bout he had 'won'
The 19-year-old Indian fought valiantly and should have won more points but the judges thought otherwise.
London: Indian boxer Sumit Sangwan went down 14-15 under controversial circumstances to Brazilian Yamaguchi Falcao Florentino in the round of 32 of 81kg category at the London Olympics here on Monday.
The 19-year-old Indian fought valiantly and should have won more points but the judges thought otherwise. ESPN commentators were surprised by the verdict and called it "daylight robbery".
Sangwan looked to have taken the first round but the judges decision meant he was left trailing by one point.
The Indian came out strongly in the second and sent his opponent reeling with great combination punches but again, to the surprise of the commentators, the bout was given in favour of the Brazilian 5-4.
Sangwan, who qualified for the London Olympics after bagging the light heavyweight title at the AIBA Asian Olympic qualifiers in Astana, came out swinging and to his credit took the third round 6-5. But that was not enough for the Indian and he became the second boxer, after Shiva Thapa, to be knocked out in the round of 32.
Compatriots Vijender Singh (75 kg) and Jai Bhagwan (60 kg) qualified for the round of 16 with convincing wins over their opponents.
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Supreme Court Set To Revisit 'Hindutva' Judgment After 20 Years
- Police Targeting DMK Cadres Over Rumours About Jayalalithaa's Health: Stalin
- Cauvery Dispute: DMK Leaders M K Stalin, Kanimozhi Stage Protests, Detained
- Seven Pakistani Rangers, One Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border: BSF
- 'Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields'
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18