Indian dies in US, family clueless for 1 month
29-year-old Ranjan was doing PhD in economics from University of Nebraska in Lincoln.
Ranchi: On getting information of Ranchi-based Pratyush Ranjan's reported accidental death in the United States, his elder brother would fly to Chicago on Monday to identify the body, family sources said on Sunday.
"The Ranchi Regional Passport Office informed us on May 5 that they had got information that Pratyush had died in a train accident and his body was recovered on April 3 in Chicago," a close relative of Ranjan said.
"We are told that Chicago police had lodged FIR stating Ranjan was killed in a train accident. They said he was identified by the I-card they found from his pocket.
"But unless a blood relation (of the victim) confirms that the body was actually his, we can't say much. Only after that we can issue a statement from our side," he added.
Ranjan, who had set out for Chicago from Nebraska on April 2, had spoken to his younger brother on that day, the relative said.
29-year-old Ranjan, who graduated from St Xavier s College, Ranchi in 2005, was doing PhD in economics from University of Nebraska in Lincoln.
Ranjan is the son of PK Karn, former principal of Netarhat Residential School.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Films You Need To Watch Before Tuning Into Oscars 2017
- Two-Minute Silence For Ranveer's Appearance at Shahid's Party
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement