Indian Fed Cup team relegated to Group II again
Kyra Shroff lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India's hopes to stay in Group I ended.
Astana: India were relegated back to Asia/Oceania Group II in the Fed Cup competition after being whitewashed 0-3 by Korea in the relegation play-off tie, here. Playing without top player Sania Mirza, India finished off this year's assignment without winning a single match in the three ties played at the National Tennis Centre.
India will now fight to get back to Group I next year after earning a promotion, last year. Rutuja Bhosale gave it her all in the first set but lost 6-7 (5) 1-6 to So-Ra Lee in the first singles. Bhosale, ranked as low as 605, had beaten Lee, ranked 389, last year in an ITF event Pune.
Kyra Shroff then lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India's hopes to stay in Group I ended. Kyra and Rishika Sunkara then gave a walkover in the dead doubles rubber to Seo-Kyung Kang and Mi Yoo. Earlier, India lost 0-3 to both Kazakhstan and Thailand in Pool A ties.
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18