Indian Fed Cup team relegated to Group II again
Kyra Shroff lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India's hopes to stay in Group I ended.
Astana: India were relegated back to Asia/Oceania Group II in the Fed Cup competition after being whitewashed 0-3 by Korea in the relegation play-off tie, here. Playing without top player Sania Mirza, India finished off this year's assignment without winning a single match in the three ties played at the National Tennis Centre.
India will now fight to get back to Group I next year after earning a promotion, last year. Rutuja Bhosale gave it her all in the first set but lost 6-7 (5) 1-6 to So-Ra Lee in the first singles. Bhosale, ranked as low as 605, had beaten Lee, ranked 389, last year in an ITF event Pune.
Kyra Shroff then lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India's hopes to stay in Group I ended. Kyra and Rishika Sunkara then gave a walkover in the dead doubles rubber to Seo-Kyung Kang and Mi Yoo. Earlier, India lost 0-3 to both Kazakhstan and Thailand in Pool A ties.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Films You Need To Watch Before Tuning Into Oscars 2017
- Two-Minute Silence For Ranveer's Appearance at Shahid's Party
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement