Indian Fed Cup team relegated to Group II again
Kyra Shroff lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India's hopes to stay in Group I ended.
Astana: India were relegated back to Asia/Oceania Group II in the Fed Cup competition after being whitewashed 0-3 by Korea in the relegation play-off tie, here. Playing without top player Sania Mirza, India finished off this year's assignment without winning a single match in the three ties played at the National Tennis Centre.
India will now fight to get back to Group I next year after earning a promotion, last year. Rutuja Bhosale gave it her all in the first set but lost 6-7 (5) 1-6 to So-Ra Lee in the first singles. Bhosale, ranked as low as 605, had beaten Lee, ranked 389, last year in an ITF event Pune.
Kyra Shroff then lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India's hopes to stay in Group I ended. Kyra and Rishika Sunkara then gave a walkover in the dead doubles rubber to Seo-Kyung Kang and Mi Yoo. Earlier, India lost 0-3 to both Kazakhstan and Thailand in Pool A ties.
- Samajwadi Party Truce: Akhilesh Yadav to Reinstate Shivpal Yadav, 3 Ministers
- Akhilesh Fantastic CM but Needs Time to Be Mass Leader: Amar Singh
- Indian-American Governors Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley Insulted by Trump
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Mosul Offensive Displaced 7,000 People: UN
- Iraqi Forces Encounter Stiff Resistance from ISIS in Mosul
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season