DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Indian Fed Cup team relegated to Group II again
Kyra Shroff lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India's hopes to stay in Group I ended.
Astana: India were relegated back to Asia/Oceania Group II in the Fed Cup competition after being whitewashed 0-3 by Korea in the relegation play-off tie, here. Playing without top player Sania Mirza, India finished off this year's assignment without winning a single match in the three ties played at the National Tennis Centre.
India will now fight to get back to Group I next year after earning a promotion, last year. Rutuja Bhosale gave it her all in the first set but lost 6-7 (5) 1-6 to So-Ra Lee in the first singles. Bhosale, ranked as low as 605, had beaten Lee, ranked 389, last year in an ITF event Pune.
Kyra Shroff then lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India's hopes to stay in Group I ended. Kyra and Rishika Sunkara then gave a walkover in the dead doubles rubber to Seo-Kyung Kang and Mi Yoo. Earlier, India lost 0-3 to both Kazakhstan and Thailand in Pool A ties.
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams: It Coasts Along on the Strength of Nostalgia
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Take a Journey Through the Lives of Famous Sportsmen With These Films
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi