Indian shuttlers advance to 2nd round at Australian Open Grand Prix
Ajay Jayaram, R M V Gurusaidutt and Anand Pawar Tuesday advanced to the second round of the men's singles event at the Australian Open Grand Prix Gold.
Sydney: Indian shuttlers Ajay Jayaram, R M V Gurusaidutt and Anand Pawar Tuesday advanced to the second round of the men's singles event at the Australian Open Grand Prix Gold here. Veteran former national champions, Chetan Anand and Arvind Bhat, however failed to stretch their campaign at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre.
Top seed Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia defeated Bhat 21-10 21-18 in 31 minutes while Indonesia's Riyanto Subagja got the better of Chetan Anand 21-14 21-16 in 25 minutes. Among the ones who emerged victorious, Jayaram, seeded ninth, took less than an hour to thrash unseeded Malaysian Kwong Beng Chan 21-11 21-14 in their first ever encounter.
14th seed Pawar, though, had to struggle before beating Arif Ramadhan of Indonesia 19-21 21-11 21-13 in 59 minutes. Jayaram and Pawar will next face South Korea's Dong Keun Lee and Malaysian Zulfadli Zulkiffli, respectively, in the next round.
Gurusaidutt, seeded 11th, took just about 15 minutes to cruch local boy Hu-Wen Chew 21-4 21-7. Gurusaidutt will next meet Suppanyu Avihingsanon of Thailand in the next round.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- 2017 Audi A3 Facelift First Drive Review: The Future is Cylinder on Demand
- Ironman Turns 'Ultraman': Milind Soman Races 517 kms Barefoot
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement