India's Olympic moments: Bindra creates history
In 2008, Abhinav Bindra went one better than Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore by claiming gold in the men's 10m Air Rifle.
In the countdown to the 2012 London Olympics, we retrace some memorable Indian moments at the quadrennial games. Today, a look at Abhinav Bindra's gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics
What Abhinav Bindra managed to do for India has not been achieved by any other Indian so far - winning an individual gold medal for the country at the Olympics. Bindra, the shooter from Zirakpur, Punjab, achieved the feat at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. It was also India's first gold medal since 1980, when the men's field hockey team won gold.
Bindra, who has already been felicitated by the Arjuna, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Padma Bhushan Awards, won the gold for the men's 10m Air Rifle final after shooting a total of 700.5. In the finals, none of his shots were below 10.0 mark and he scored his highest in the finals (10.8) to clinch the gold, piping Finland's Henri Hakkinen, who ultimately settled for a bronze medal.
His will and determination to do well for the country is unparalleled. And that's why, just like he did before the Beijing Games, he is again out of the limelight ahead of the upcoming London Olympics. Bindra, who also holds a Bachelor of Business Administration's degree, has been training in Germany under the supervision of his current coach and five-time Olympic shooter Gabriele Buhlmann from Switzerland, and is expected to reach London a few days before the start of the quadrennial extravaganza.
Bindra, 29, will be representing India in the 10-metre event at the London Games, and millions of Indian hopes will be pinned on him to repeat his feat that made every countryman proud four years ago.
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Donald Trump's Campaign Says Raised $9 mn Through Live Facebook Event
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma Explain Why Working With Karan Johar is Special
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18