IOA adjourns meeting, fixes Special GBM on August 25
In a meeting which lasted barely half an hour before it was adjourned, the IOA also decided to hold its elections tentatively on September 22.
New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association on Thursday decided to hold its Special General Body Meeting to amend its constitution on August 25 as directed by the IOC under the blueprint prepared for the country's return to the Olympic fold.
In a meeting here which lasted barely half an hour before it was adjourned, the IOA also decided to hold its elections tentatively on September 22.
The IOA was to amend its constitution in a Special GBM on Thursday following an earlier directive of the International Olympic Committee but it had to change its plan after the IOC extended the deadline.
In a letter last week, the IOC said it would take some more time to study the proposed amendments sent by the IOA and hence the Special GBM could be held between August 22 and 28 and the elections one month later.
President of the suspended IOA, Abhay Singh Chautala, who presided the Requisition Special General Body Meeting, adjourned the meeting after taking a decision on the date of Special GBM.
"More than 120 out of 180-odd members of the IOA and more than 30 NSFs and state Olympic associations took part in today's meeting. The House unanimously took the decision to hold the Special General Body Meeting on August 25 to amend the constitution," he told reporters after the meeting.
"We understand that IOC representatives will be among us between August 22 and 28 and accordingly we have fixed the date for the Special GBM," he added.
When asked about some federations not turning up on Thursday, Chautala sought to struck a conciliatory note and said, "We would write to those who did not turn up today about what happened today and will seek suggestions from them. We want the betterment of Indian sports and sportspersons."
He also said that he has no difference with IOC's member in India, Randhir Singh, who was against Thursday's meeting.
- Barack Obama, Leonardo DiCaprio to Discuss Climate Change at White House Event
- Big B Has a Different Level of Passion Towards His Work: Anees Bazmee
- Obama Vetoes Bill Allowing 9/11 Victims to Sue Saudi Arabia
- Barack Obama Shares Video of Child Offering Home To Boy In The Ambulance
- US Presidential Debate: Bollywood Stars Share Their Opinions on Twitter
- US Presidential Debate: Clinton and Trump Spar on Economy and Jobs
- Some Reactions Around the World To First Trump-Clinton Debate
- US Presidential Debate: Why Donald Trump's Sniffles Had Internet Choking