IOA suspension issue may be resolved in 2 months: Chautala
Chautala said the issue of national body's suspension by the IOC is likely to be resolved in two months.
Bhopal: Claiming that the Indian Olympic Association had done nothing wrong in the election process, its president Abhay Singh Chautala on Sunday said the issue of national body's suspension by the International Olympic Committee is likely to be resolved in two months. Last month, the IOC had suspended the IOA for failing to comply with the Olympic Charter in its election process, thereby putting a bar on the country's participation in the Olympic Games.
"IOA was not responsible even for one per cent on the issue of suspension by IOC as it was following the High Court and the government's sports code while conducting elections under the supervision of three-member retired High Court judges. The issue is likely to be resolved within two months. IOA will soon get an appointment from IOC," Chautala told reporters after inaugurating the National Taekwando Championship here.
Responding to a query on the election of Lalit Bhanot as the IOA Secretary General, Chautala said he was not yet proven guilty by the court.
"In India, as per law no one can be prevented from contesting any election merely on the ground that he or she is tainted, unless it is proved by a court of law," he said.
Allaying fears of Indian sportspersons not being able to take part in Commonwealth, Asian Games or 2016 Olympics under Indian flag, he said the issue would be resolved soon and that even now there is no ban on players taking part in international events.
"We are bound by High Court directives and cannot ignore the government rules and court orders on the issue," he said.
Asked whether the Centre had given recognition to the IOA elections, he said that it will have to as its nominee was present when the elections were held. Replying to a query on why politicians were heading sports bodies, he said if it was so, this analogy should also be applied to Health, Home and other ministries.
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Irom Sharmila Meets Kejriwal, Seeks Advice on Fighting Manipur Polls