Iran parliamentarians call for nuclear ships
Iran will design nuclear-powered merchant ships and will provide them with nuclear fuel.
Tehran: An Iranian semiofficial news agency says a parliamentary committee has approved a bill requiring the government to design nuclear-powered merchant ships and provide them with nuclear fuel.
Iran says it is designing a nuclear submarine. But nuclear-powered ships other than warships are rare and the International Atomic Energy Agency has said in the past that such merchant ships would be uneconomical.
The bill appears to be a symbolic gesture to bolster Tehran's argument that it has a right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes. The West says Iran's nuclear program is aimed at developing weapons technology, a charge Tehran denies.
Lawmaker Mohammad Bayatian is quoted by the semi-official Mehr news agency as saying today that the bill will be debated in the parliament next week.
Recommended For You
- Tata Tigor Launched in India at Rs 4.70 Lakh, Ex-Showroom Delhi
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Black) Review: The Perfect Phone at Rs 12,999
- IPL 2017: Steven Smith Cannot Wait to Join Rising Pune Supergiants
- Akshay Attends Naam Shabana Screening With Women Police Officers
- Looking For a Solution For Everything Construction Related?