Iran should fully cooperate with IAEA: India
India said Iran should fully cooperate with the IAEA with a view to restoring confidence of the international community that its nuclear programme is peaceful in nature.
United Nations: India on Wednesday said Iran should fully cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency with a view to restoring confidence of the international community that its nuclear programme is peaceful in nature.
India's Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri said India has "consistently supported" the right of all nations to peaceful uses of nuclear energy in accordance with relevant international treaties to which they are a party.
"Iran should fully cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency to restore the confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear programme," Puri said participating in a UN Security Council briefing here on Iran and UN Resolution 1737, which had imposed sanctions against Tehran for failing to stop its uranium enrichment programme.
Puri said India welcomes the recent exchanges between Iran and the UN nuclear watchdog, expressing hope that the outstanding technical issues concerning the Iranian nuclear programme will be resolved peacefully through Tehran's cooperation with the IAEA.
India also welcomes the decision to resume talks between Iran and the P5 + 1 nations - UNSC's five permanent members and Germany. "These talks should serve as an important confidence building measure and help avoid escalation of the situation," Puri said.
Puri further added that India supports the full implementation of relevant resolutions of the Security Council concerning the Iranian nuclear issue.
He, however, said while implementing these resolutions, it is necessary that all efforts should be made so that legitimate trade and economic activities do not suffer.
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Abhishek Verma Rejects Allegations of Purported Defence Leaks by Varun Gandhi
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18