Ireland to legalise abortion when mother's life is at risk
The decision comes after a huge public outcry over the death of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar , who died on October 28.
London: Ireland on Tuesday announced it will legalise abortions when the mother's life is at risk, weeks after the death of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar who died after being refused an abortion in the European country. The decision comes after a huge public outcry over the death of 31-year-old Savita, who died on October 28 at Galway University Hospital. She had been 17-week pregnant and was found to be miscarrying.
Savita's husband said she asked repeatedly for a termination of the pregnancy but was refused and was told the foetal heartbeat was still present and "this is a Catholic country". The Irish government has decided to repeal legislation that makes abortion a criminal act and to introduce regulations setting out when doctors can perform an abortion when a woman s life is regarded as being at risk, including by suicide, the Telegraph newspaper reported.
Irish health minister Dr James Reilly said that the government was aware of the controversy surrounding abortion. "I know that most people have personal views on this matter. However, the government is committed to ensuring that the safety of pregnant women in Ireland is maintained and strengthened. We must fulfil our duty of care towards them," the paper quoted Reilly as saying.
"For that purpose, we will clarify in legislation and regulation what is available by way of treatment to a woman when a pregnancy gives rise to a threat to a woman's life. We will also clarify what is legal for the professionals who must provide that care while at all times taking full account of the equal right to life of the unborn child." Ireland's abortion laws are the strictest in Europe and any proposed legislation to decriminalise abortion will stoke furious debate in the country, which remains a staunchly Roman Catholic country.
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Samajwadi Party Live: Akhilesh Yadav Breaks Down During Speech, Blames Amar Singh For Rift
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Theatre Is a Beautiful Platform, Says Shahid Kapoor
- Akhilesh-Shivpal Supporters Clash Ahead of Crucial Samajwadi Party Meet
- Mulayam Singh Explores Political Possibilities Amid Challenges Posed By Akhilesh
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season