Irom Sharmila's fast in 'Ripley's Believe It or Not'
Ripley's recognition has made Sharmila supporters happy, who believe that the campaign against AFSPA will fetch more support.
Kolkata: The courageous tale of Irom Chanu Sharmila, the 'Iron Lady of Manipur', who has not eaten a morsel of food since the last eleven years has now been included in the collection of 'Ripley's Believe It or Not'.
Under the banner of Just Peace Foundation (JPF), supporters of Irom had written to researchers at the US-based Ripley's franchise requesting them to include her case in their list of unusual and unbelievable feats.
"They have replied saying they have featured her story," JPF's Kshetrimayum Onil told PTI from Imphal.
Recognising her uncompromising stand and rock-like willpower, a graffiti along with Irom's sketch and a brief note on her has been put up on the website of Ripley.
Demanding the repeal of the 'draconian' Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), under which the security forces can even kill people without fearing prosecution, civil rights activist Sharmila is on an indefinite hunger strike since November 2000.
The 39-year-old is kept under house arrest at the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences in Imphal, where she is forcibly nose-fed to keep her alive.
The recognition from Ripley's has made Sharmila supporters happy, who believe that the campaign against AFSPA will now fetch additional support at the international level.
"We hope that more people will listen to our demands now", said Irom Singhajit, Sharmila's elder brother.
- Shoe Hurled at Rahul Gandhi in UP; He Blames BJP, RSS
- Rahul Gandhi Visits Places of All Faiths in UP
- PM Modi Least Bothered About People, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi Enjoys 'Paan' Brought by Party Workers During Unnao Road Show
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane