DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
'Iron Man 3' explodes with $175.3 mn in US, Canada debut
Superhero sequel 'Iron Man 3' rocketed to the top of U.S. and Canadian box office charts.
New York: Superhero sequel 'Iron Man 3' rocketed to the top of U.S. and Canadian box office charts, kicking off Hollywood's summer movie season with an estimated $175.3 million in weekend ticket sales for the second biggest opening of all time.
The movie from Walt Disney Co's (DIS.N) Marvel studio stars Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, a billionaire businessman with a superhero alter-ego.
'Iron Man 3' finished behind Marvel's 'The Avengers,' which debuted one year ago with $207.4 million, and ahead of the July 2011 release of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2,' which earned $169.2 million over its first three days.
The 'Iron Man' mania trounced all other movies. Dark action comedy 'Pain & Gain' finished in second place, grossing $7.6 million, according to studio estimates on Sunday. Baseball drama '42' took the No. 3 slot with $6.2 million.
'Pain & Gain' was released by Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc (VIAB.O). Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc (TWX.N), distributed '42.'
Recommended For You
- Trescothick Takes Wonder Catch and Scores 50th Century For Somerset
- Saif Ali Khan Opens Up About Ex-wife Amrita Singh In This Old Interview
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande
- Ford Names James Hackett As New CEO