Ishrat Jahan fake encounter: Suspended Gujarat IPS officer resigns
GL Singhal is among the 20 policemen, including DIG Vanzara, named in the case.
Ahmedabad: Gujarat IPS officer GL Singhal, who was arrested in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, has resigned from the police force. He was suspended after being arrested in the case. GL Singhal was the ACP in 2004 during the fake encounter case. Singhal is among the 20 policemen, including DIG Vanzara, named in the case.
Ishrat, a 19-year-old college girl, along with Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in a shootout by Ahmedabad Crime Branch on June 15, 2004.
The Crime Branch had then claimed the four were LeT members and were on a mission to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
The probe in the case was supervised directly by the high court which constituted the SIT to investigate the genuineness of the gunfight after petitions were filed by Ishrat's mother Shamima Kausar and Gopinath Pillai, father of Pranesh, raising questions about the police version of the incident.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Premier League Champions Leicester City Sack Manager Claudio Ranieri
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology