Ishrat Jahan case: CBI to take PP Pandey into custody tonight, say sources
PP Pandey was chargesheeted by the CBI accusing him of being part of the conspiracy to eliminate Ishrat Jahan and three others.
Ahmedabad: Gujarat IPS officer PP Pandey will be taken into custody for his role in the alleged Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, CBI sources claimed. The CBI sources say the IPS officer has exhausted all his avenues.
This comes after his second anticipatory bail plea was rejected by the court. Pandey is an accused in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
CBI sources told CNN-IBN that Pande will be picked up from hospital and be put in judicial custody. He had sought the bail on the grounds that a higher court is yet to decide on his plea to quash the FIR against him.
The High Court on July 29 passed an order that Pandey cannot be arrested till August 6, however he could be taken into judicial custody as his proclamation and arrest warrant are both in effect.
Pandey has not attended office since February, 2013 and he was directed by the Supreme Court to appear before the court on July 29. The apex court had on July 26 had restrained the CBI from arresting the officer as decision on his appeal was still pending.
Pandey was chargesheeted by the CBI accusing him of being part of the conspiracy to eliminate Ishrat Jahan and three others. The CBI failed to trace him after Pandey went on a long leave. The agency then approached the court to declare him an absconder.
Pandey was Joint Commissioner of Police when on June 15, 2004 Ishrat Jahan, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter with the Gujarat Police on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
A day before the encounter, Pandey, along with suspended IPS officer DG Vanzara and IB officer Rajinder Kumar allegedly planned details of how the killing will take place. As head of the Crime Branch that carried out the operation, Pandey allegedly directly supervised actions of Vanzara and others, and even directed how the first FIR must be filed before the encounter.
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Troops Target Indian Posts, Civilian Areas in J&K's Akhnoor District
- Russia Asks Pakistan to Take Steps to Contain Terror Groups
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Surgical Strike Across LoC: US Objects to Pakistan's Nuclear Threats Against India