ISRO planning privately built PSLV launch in 5 years
If satellites and launch vehicles can be produced by industry players, ISRO scientists will be able to concentrate on research oriented activities.
New Delhi: Moving forward on its plans to rope in the industry in its activities, ISRO is looking towards the launch of the first privately built rocket in the next five years. The Indian Space Research Organisation has embarked on hiving off production of communication satellites and polar satellite launch vehicles (PSLVs) to the industry.
"We are now setting up a national committee to work out the modalities on how to go about it," ISRO Chairman K Radhakrishnan told reporters when asked about the agency's plans to rope in the industry for producing PSLVs and communication satellites.
He said the space agency had told the industry representatives at a meeting in Ahmedabad in January that it was looking at PSLVs and communication satellites produced by them. "My target is five years from now on. Five years from now the first PSLV will roll out from that entity," Radhakrishnan said.
He said the proposed national committee would look at various steps in this regard including the revenue model, technology transfer and related matters. The space agency is keen to focus on unique science projects, develop remote sensing satellites and do more research and development instead of engaging in the repititive exercise of building communication satellites and launch vehicles.
The industry participation in development of communication satellites is upto 80 per cent. If satellites and launch vehicles can be produced by industry players, ISRO scientists will be able to concentrate on research-oriented activities, and have greater involvement of academic institutions.
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
- Airtel Offers 10GB of 4G Mobile Data at Rs 259