Will honour assurance given to Italy on marines: Home Secy
India had given the assurance that the marines won't be sentenced to death after clarifications were sought by Italy on capital punishment.
New Delhi: Notwithstanding NIA slapping murder charge against two Italian marines, India will honour the assurance given to Italy that the duo will not face death penalty for allegedly killing two fishermen off Kerala coast. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) will not press for death sentence against the marines - Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone - as per the assurance given by India to Italy even if they are convicted of murder.
"We will honour whatever assurance given to Italy," Union Home Secretary RK Singh told reporters here on Monday. On March 22, after the return of the marines from Italy, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid had told Parliament that India has given an assurance to that country that the two will not face death penalty nor will they be liable for arrest if they return by the deadline set by the Supreme Court.
India had given the assurance after clarifications were sought by Italy on death penalty which was a "concern" to that country. Khurshid had also said "...According to well-settled Indian jurisprudence, this case would not fall in the category of matters which attract death penalty, that is to say the rarest of rare cases. Therefore, there need not be any apprehension in this regard".
NIA has submitted an FIR before a Special NIA court booking the marines under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 427 (mischief) along with section 34 (common intent) of IPC. NIA has also booked them under the Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act, 2002. Under this Act, offence of murder is punishable with death sentence.
Official sources said charges slapped in the FIR can be dropped when the charge sheet is filed if no substantive evidence is found against the accused.
- Pakistan Postpones SAARC Summit After Five Member Countries Pull Out
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- 1st ODI: Azam, Nawaz Star as Pakistan Thrash West Indies
- US Lawmakers Support India's Counter-Terror Operations in PoK
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance