Italy Prez names Mario Monti senator for life
Mario Monti, an experienced economist, is currently the president of Milan's Bocconi university.
Rome: Italian President Giorgio Napolitano said on Wednesday he had nominated former European Commissioner Mario Monti as a senator for life, a position awarded to distinguished Italians for their contributions to the country.
Monti, an experienced economist who is currently the president of Milan's Bocconi university, has been mentioned in Italian media among possible candidates to succeed Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi when he steps down.
He would be seen as favorite to lead a possible technocrat government with a mandate to push through economic reforms.
The formation of a technical interim government is among the possible next steps in Italy's political crisis, and is the option favoured by markets over new elections.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It