Italy Prez names Mario Monti senator for life
Mario Monti, an experienced economist, is currently the president of Milan's Bocconi university.
Rome: Italian President Giorgio Napolitano said on Wednesday he had nominated former European Commissioner Mario Monti as a senator for life, a position awarded to distinguished Italians for their contributions to the country.
Monti, an experienced economist who is currently the president of Milan's Bocconi university, has been mentioned in Italian media among possible candidates to succeed Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi when he steps down.
He would be seen as favorite to lead a possible technocrat government with a mandate to push through economic reforms.
The formation of a technical interim government is among the possible next steps in Italy's political crisis, and is the option favoured by markets over new elections.
- Karan Johar Vs MNS: CM Fadnavis Turns Peacemaker
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Raj Thackeray Claims Victory, Rs 5 Cr Penance For Producers Employing Pak Artistes
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- BSF Kills 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border