DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Aus open: Kleybanova upsets Ivanovic, Safina advances
Alisa Kleybanova will take on Jelena Dokic in the next round.
Melbourne: In the second major upset in the women's draw after the exit of Venus Williams, 5th seeded Ana Ivanovic was shown the door by a spirited Alisa Kleybanova of Russia in the 3rd round.
The 29th seeded Russian battled hard to win the first set 7-5. She kept her momentum going, even as last year's runner-up Ivanovic fought off matchpoints to win the second 7-6, but the 19-year-old went onto to win the two and a half hour match.
She plays Jelena Dokic in the next round.
Third seeded Dinara Safina joins Jelena Jankovic in the pre-quarterfinals of the Australian Open.
The Russian registered a very easy straight sets win over 25th seed Kaia Kanepi in the 3rd round.
Safina won the match 6-2, 6-2 in a little over an hour. Safina will play 15th seed Alize Cornet in the next round. 10th seed Nadia Petrova is also through to the next round. She plays fellow Russian Vera Zvonereva.
Recommended For You
- Govt Says No Chance of Indo-Pak Bilateral Series in Current Scenario
- War Machine Review: Brad Pitt Is Disappointing In This Satire Gone Wrong
- Opinion – Which 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire Variant Should You Buy?
- Jab We Met, Chak De! India and Other Films That Turn 10 in 2017
- Nana Patekar Bags Key Role In Kaala Karikaalan