DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
UN forces rescue Indian envoy to Ivory Coast
All the embassy staff has also been evacuated from the civil war-torn country.
New Delhi: Indian Ambassador to Ivory Coast Shyama Jain has been rescued by the United Nations forces. All the embassy staff has also been evacuated from the civil war torn country.
Shama was trapped inside her home for several hours on Thursday because of heavy firing between opposition forces and those loyal to deposed president Alassane Ouattara.
She was rescued in a daring operation by UN forces after many hours, She is expected to come back to India on Saturday.
Civil war has broken out in Ivory Coast with forces loyal to Ouattaro fighting Laurent Gbagbo's supporters. Gbagbo has refused to resign as the president of Ivory Coast even after losing the elections held in November 2010. Ouattara's supporters have reportedly surrounded a bunker where Gbagbo is reported to be hiding.
India voted in the UN Security Council for sanctions against Gbagbo, his wife and close aides. The resolution was passed with all the 15 Security Council voting in favour of the sanctions.
Recommended For You
- Trescothick Takes Wonder Catch and Scores 50th Century For Somerset
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- Saif Ali Khan Opens Up About Ex-wife Amrita Singh In This Old Interview
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Ford Names James Hackett As New CEO