Jaitapur protesters pelt stones on policemen
Hundreds of people from Madban, Jaitapur, Nate and other villages in the district held spontaneous protests.
Mumbai: Hundreds of villagers agitating against the proposed Jaitapur Nuclear Power Project at Madban village in Maharashtra's Ratnagiri district on Monday pelted stones on policemen, resulting in injury to a few personnel.
"Protesters pelted stones at the policemen in which some cops were injured. Police had to open firing in the air to disperse the crowd," Ratnagiri Superintendent of Police Pradeep Raskar told PTI.
Hundreds of people from Madban, Jaitapur, Nate and other villages in the district on Monday held spontaneous protests against the 9,900 MW project, said Vaishali Patil, activist and member of Konkan Bachao Samiti, an NGO opposing the project.
The project with six nuclear rectors of 1,600 MW each would be one of the largest N-power projects in the world.
"We are demanding the state government scrap the project but it is so adamant. It is not worried about a repeat of Japan's nuclear crisis here," Patil said.
Patil said despite protests, the government had begun its work due to which villagers resorted to protests.
Recommended For You
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Powers Manchester United to League Cup Glory
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone Turn The Heat Up At Pre-Oscar 2017 Party
- Lionel Messi on Target as Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid
- Oscars 2017 Red Carpet: Priyanka, Nicole, Emma Are Here To Turn Around The Fashion Game