Jamia Millia conferred with minority status
The observation was made by the National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions.
New Delhi: The National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions (NCMEI) on Tuesday observed that the Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) is a minority education institution founded by the Muslims for the benefit of community.
"We hold that the Jamia Millia Islamia is a minority education institution," said the three-member bench of the NCMEI in its judgment in the case relating to the status of the university.
The bench was headed by Justice MSA Siddiqi. Its other two members were Mohinder Singh and Cyriac Thomas.
"We have no hesitation in holding that the Jamia was founded by the Muslims for the benefit of Muslims and it never lost its character as a Muslim education institution," it said.
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Shrama Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM