DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Jamia to honour Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen today
The economist, whose work on welfare economics won him a Nobel Prize in 1998, will be conferred with an honorary degree.
New Delhi: After honouring Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama last year, Jamia Milia Islamia will this year honour economist Amartya Sen, another Nobel Laureate, with an honorary doctorate.
Sen, whose work on welfare economics, particularly on the causes of famine, won him a Nobel Prize in Economics in 1998, will be conferred with an honorary degree on Friday.
Though the University wanted to award the doctorate to the Harvard Professor at its annual convocation last month, Sen was available only at this time of the year.
The special ceremony will be held on on Friday at the University's Ansari auditorium.
The University's decision to honour the Tibetan spiritual leader had caused a flutter last year after reports said the Ministry of External Affairs was uncomfortable with the idea as the annual convocation was to be held ahead of Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's visit to India.
However, the Ministry later gave a go-ahead to the varsity.
Recommended For You
- Champions Trophy 2017: Virat Kohli and Co Arrive in London
- On Kumble, Kohli Says BCCI Following Due Process By Inviting Fresh Applications
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- It's Official: OnePlus 5 to Be India's First Phone With Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- Bollywood Stars Join Sachin Tendulkar For A Billion Dreams Premiere