Jamia to honour Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen today
The economist, whose work on welfare economics won him a Nobel Prize in 1998, will be conferred with an honorary degree.
New Delhi: After honouring Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama last year, Jamia Milia Islamia will this year honour economist Amartya Sen, another Nobel Laureate, with an honorary doctorate.
Sen, whose work on welfare economics, particularly on the causes of famine, won him a Nobel Prize in Economics in 1998, will be conferred with an honorary degree on Friday.
Though the University wanted to award the doctorate to the Harvard Professor at its annual convocation last month, Sen was available only at this time of the year.
The special ceremony will be held on on Friday at the University's Ansari auditorium.
The University's decision to honour the Tibetan spiritual leader had caused a flutter last year after reports said the Ministry of External Affairs was uncomfortable with the idea as the annual convocation was to be held ahead of Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's visit to India.
However, the Ministry later gave a go-ahead to the varsity.
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- Facebook Employees Try to Remove Trump's Controversial Posts, Zuckerberg Calls it Inappropriate
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp