Jammu-Srinagar highway closed due to snowfall, landslides
Over 200 vehicles are stranded at various places en route.
Jammu: The Jammu-Srinagar national highway, the only road link between Kashmir and rest of the country, was closed on Friday for vehicular traffic due to heavy snowfall and landslides, leaving over 200 vehicles stranded. "The highway was closed for vehicular traffic today due to heavy snowfall near Jawahar tunnel, Patnitop and landslides in Panthial area of Ramban district," a police officer said.
BRO is working to clear the 300-km-long highway of snow and landslides but bad weather, snowfall and heavy rainfall together are making the task difficult, he said. Over 200 vehicles are stranded at various places en route.
Traffic officials have not allowed any vehicular movement from Jammu towards Kashmir Valley and have stopped them at Sidhara and Nagrota. Poonch-Shopian Moghal road and Kishtwar-Anantnag road have also been closed for vehicular traffic due to heavy snowfall for the past few days.
Rains continue to lash the plains of Jammu while heavy snowfall was reported from the upper reaches of Kishtwar, Doda, Rajouri Poonch and Kathua district.
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Indo-Pak matches filled with emotions, Says Pakistan Hockey Coach Khawaja Junaid
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 2 in Abu Dhabi
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18