Jinnah took oath of allegiance to King George: MQM
The office of governor-general in each of the two new countries - Pakistan and India - was a representative of the British Crown.
Islamabad: Pakistan's founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah, also called "Quaid-e-Azam", had a British passport and took an oath of allegiance to British King George VI after assuming charge as the first governor-general of independent Pakistan, a politician has said. Defending public criticism for holding dual nationality, Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain said former prime minister Nawaz Sharif lived with his family in Saudi Arabia on a "diplomatic passport" for a long time, Geo News reported.
In a telephonic address from London, Hussain said Jinnah also had a British passport. The MQM chief read out the oath taken by Jinnah after assuming charge as the governor-general of Pakistan in 1947.
Hussain read out a provision of the Indian Independence Act, 1947, that stated that the office of governor-general in each of the two new countries - Pakistan and India - was a representative of the British Crown.
Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, however, said the MQM chief had distorted history. "The oath taken by the Quaid-e-Azam was determined by the fact that the independence of Pakistan in 1947 was not complete," the Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf chief told the Dawn.
"Both India and Pakistan had attained quasi independence and became dominions of the British empire. It was for this reason that the Quaid became governor-general and not the president," Imran said.dently of any political agenda.
- New Zealand PM Arrives, Modi Likely to Seek Support on NSG Entry During Meet Tomorrow
- PM Modi Warns of Action Against Those Who 'Snatch' Tribal Rights
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Donald Trump's Daughter-in-Law Celebrates Diwali at Hindu Temple in US
- Donald Trump Says Would Probe Email Investigation of Hillary Clinton
- Clinton Policy on Syria Would Lead to World War Three: Donald Trump
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out