J&K cricket divide: JKCA treasurer submits resignation
Manzoor Wazir resigned citing failure to resolve the crisis currently engulfing the state cricket team.
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association (JKCA) treasurer Manzoor Wazir on Friday submitted his resignation citing failure to defuse the crisis engulfing the state team. Recently, state team players from Kashmir had levelled charges of regional bias against coach Bishen Singh Bedi and accused him of preferring Jammu players over them.
The players, led by state team captain Samiullah Beigh, went on to boycott a Ranji match against Andhra Pradesh, leading to the state's defeat in the match. Although the next day, reports came in of a possible compromise being worked out by the association and the players, matters, it seems, still remain tense.
Wazir said he had put in a lot of efforts to end the stalemate between the association and the disgruntled players. "I succeeded to a large extent but there were few boys who felt that justice has still not been done. I have requested the president to accept my resignation," Wazir said.
The treasurer, who is believed to be instrumental in blowing the whistle on multicrore embezzlement scam in the JKCA earlier this year, rued that other office-bearers of the association did not put in any efforts to end the deadlock.
"There are many office-bearers in the association but they did not do anything to resolve the issue. It is not humanly possible for me to put in so much time into the works of the association," Wazir said while explaining his decision.
Meanwhile, the disgruntled players locked the office of the JKCA at Sher-e-Kashmir Cricket Stadium. They also reportedly called on several members at their residences to seek an explanation about their stand on the ongoing tiff with Bedi.
(With additional information from PTI)
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Bomb Blast, Tribal Protests Keep Manipur CM Ibobi From Inaugurating Hospital
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor
- Theatre Is a Beautiful Platform, Says Shahid Kapoor
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps
- Philippines' Duterte Sparking Distress Around the World, Says US
- 21 Maoists Killed in Encounter on Andhra Pradesh-Odisha Border