J&K separatist leaders put under house arrest
Authorities on Friday imposed restrictions in Srinagar to prevent proposed rallies in connection with martyrs' day.
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir separatist leaders were placed under house arrest and authorities on Friday imposed restrictions in old city areas of summer capital Srinagar to prevent proposed rallies in connection with martyrs' day.
Senior separatist leaders, Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Shabir Ahmad Shah and Muhammad Nayeem Khan were placed under house arrest to prevent their participation in the proposed separatist rallies.
The separatists had asked people to rally to the martyrs' graveyard to pay tributes.
A shootout at the city's central jail July 13, 1931, had killed 22 people who were protesting the release of an under trial, Abdul Qadeer.
They were then buried in which is now called as the martyrs' graveyard in the old city.
"Nobody will be permitted to disturb peace in the city. The district administration has imposed restrictions at some places to ensure safety and security," said state director general of police K Rajendra Kumar.
"We have reports that some miscreants were planning to disturb peace. There is no curfew anywhere in the city," Kumar said.
Police and paramilitary central reserve police force (CRPF) contingents in riot gear have been deployed in the old city and sensitive locations in uptown areas.
With Friday being a public holiday, educational institutions and government offices remained closed.
Governor NN Vohra, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and leader of the opposition People's Democratic Party Mufti Muhammad Sayeed will pay tribute to the martyrs on Friday.
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Saamna Cartoonist Expresses Regret Over Cartoon That Triggered Protests
- Race to White House is Real, Not Reality TV: Hillary Clinton
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets