J&K: Villagers allege police harassment, hold protest
Villagers are demanding action against the policemen for acting beyond their jurisdiction.
Srinagar: A group of villagers in south Kashmir's Kulgam district on Sunday staged a protest against alleged harassment of a family by some police personnel in a land dispute case pending before court. The residents of Laroo village, 75 kms from Srinagar, took to the streets against harassment of the family which is having a land dispute with relatives, official sources said.
Protesters alleged that the police team picked up four male and two female members of the family on Saturday, without any female cops accompanying them, they said. The policemen also beat up the family members before taking them to a nearby camp, the protesters alleged.
Villagers are demanding action against the policemen for acting beyond their jurisdiction, as the matter was subjudice, sources said. A police spokesperson, however, said the family members were picked up for questioning and had been let off since then.
He did not given any reasons why the police picked up the family members. Meanwhile, CPI(M) MLA Kulgam M Y Tarigami has condemned the alleged police action.
"First of all they should have a warrant of arrest. Then they should have taken female cops with them if they were to arrest any women," Tairgami said.
Recommended For You
- Porter's Son Thangarasu Natarajan: From Tennis Ball Star to IPL Big Bucks
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- Kangana, Shahid Promote Rangoon on TKSS: 5 Laugh Out Loud Moments
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Shahid Kapoor's Pre-Birthday Bash: Deepika, Alia, Katrina steal the show