Jolla: Ex-Nokia engineers' new smartphone goes on sale
The Jolla handset's Sailfish operating platform is based on MeeGo software, which Nokia abandoned in 2011 when it switched over to using Microsoft Corp.'s Windows system.
New Delhi: A team of ex-Nokia engineers is launching a smartphone - Jolla - based on the former world No. 1 cellphone maker's old software, hoping to grab a share of a highly competitive market. The Jolla handset's Sailfish operating platform is based on MeeGo software, which Nokia abandoned in 2011 when it switched over to using Microsoft Corp.'s Windows system.
The 4.5-inch phone features an eight megapixel camera, supports fast 4G Internet connections and includes Nokia's HERE maps covering 180 countries. It is compatible with some 85,000 apps by Google's Android. It will first launch in Finland on Wednesday and then in 135 other countries.
It is powered by a dual-core processor and has 16GB of onboard storage. It has LTE (in selected markets) and removable back covers (the Other Half) and also has a microSD slot. Jolla was founded in 2011 after Nokia laid off thousands of workers as it lost market share to rivals. It has over 90 employees in Finland and Hong Kong.
Another highlight of the Jolla is that it is Android apps compatible, which means that users will be able to run their favourite Android apps in addition Sailfish apps on their Jolla phone.
Jolla is a Finnish startup, formed by former Nokia employees and using technology ditched by the handset maker. The startup, Jolla Ltd, will use MeeGo software, created by Nokia and Intel in 2010-2011, for its products.
Jolla is also being positioned as a button-less phone and instead users gestures to navigate. Jolla expects to ship the first phones by the end of 2013.
(With inputs from Associated Press)
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan Make The Most Stylish Couple; Here's The Proof
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya